Tuesday, February 1, 2011

"Weekly" check in

The Homeschool Chick has started a new Meme this week especially for us homeschool Mums out there. I need structure to my posts whenever they tumble out so thought i'd use hers.

In my life this week…
Financial stress is still alive and well. I finally made an appointment for thursday to get my taxes done. So that will mean some much needed cash plus, more importantly, my child tax benefits back in my hot little hands each month. I also learned that i might be eligible (with X's dx) for some extra $$.

In our homeschool this week…
Xander is knee deep in math as he suddenly noticed hey i am in grade one (in the curriculum we are using) and I don't want that. I want to catch up to my age. So he did 30 activities and quizes monday alone. Of course the activities are just a part of his learning as it's more of an introduction/assessment then i look at the scores and then i assign more practice in certain areas he is scoring low in. But i applaud his energy even if it's only to get it done. Baby steps. The areas to work on: skip counting by 2's, fractions, equal numbers (what numbers add up to a certain number), estimating, number line, problem solving (this is a very weak area for him)

Places we’re going & people we’re seeing…
Monday: home with a quick very cold walk to the bank.
Tuesday: X at his great-grannys in the am as usual and doing a creative writing workshop at the homeschooling community centre in the pm. Crossing our fingers the workshop goes well as writing is difficult for him in terms of confidence.
Wednesday: at his friend's naeem.
Thursday: X will be reading while I get my taxes done then drama in the evening. He was to have karate in the pm but i think i might have to take him out for a little while while we get some financial stuff in order.
Friday: At grandmas (eric's mom). Will color a quebec flag, do some math practice and whatever she has for him to do. Usually some reading together (popular fiction, insects, etc.). He also plays with his lego, plays the board game trouble and watches some tv.

My favorite thing this week was…
feeling a little more on top of things (other than $)

What’s working/not working for us…
Having a physical list of what to be done each week. This gets changed as needed but Xander seems to desire and work well with the knowledge of what's to come. He still asks each morning and evening but has done well with organizing his needs based on this template. I think his brain sees things as so huge an undertaking the list tones down what's in his head to a manageable point.

Homeschool questions/thoughts I have…
Been looking for PDD-nos (pervasive developmental disorder) specific homeschooling or educator tools as I feel at a loss sometimes. All homeschooling tools are for the typical child give or take. Although I feel capable of figuring it out and just the adaptation so far has been helpful to him there are some gaps. How do i work with math (especially word problems) when he has difficulty transferring information from one context to another?

A photo to share…
It was so cute! He held it up all excited and said "it's permeable". Love him!

No comments: