Friday, September 3, 2010

who is learning more

I think i am learning more than he is... about him.

I know it's the first week so gotta not be hard on myself but yikes! I have had to slow down so much more than I thought I would have to. And I thought i'd have to quite a bit. The school never had the ability to teach him anything in an atmosphere of judgment (just in terms of everything being tested, they were pretty nice over all) and in a foreign language. I asked what would be two examples of XYZ and he gave me a math equation. He had no concept of examples beyond math. He also had no understanding that then those examples would be words not sentences.

But most importantly he had asked me to repeat something after getting upset with me for repeating it a minute before. I didn't understand why that would be and he explained (quite amazingly with great self-reflection!) that before he was writing and needed to concentrate. He didn't want to forget what was in his head so he couldn't listen to what I was saying. :)

This would explain why school was so frustrating and why so little got in. Instructions would be randomly given at any point in his concentration on his work or his thoughts. Of course this is true of lot's of students, but that's another conversation. And to all you out there who are not of a homeschooling frame of mind. Yes he (and us all) have to learn this skill but it is something that is learned over time (i for one learned most of that in university; learning to think about things, write notes and answer questions in class) and should not impede them in the mean time in learning everything else.

No comments: